Friday, October 3, 2008

L'Shana Tova

It has certainly been a sweet new year for our little family. We began our Rosh Hashanah holiday with a traditional family meal at home with all the standards; chicken matzah ball soup (thanks aly), nana's inspired brisket, special round challah, salad, honey bread and of course local yummy apples and honey. Sitting down for a holiday meal fills my soul. Memories of holidays past at my grandparents and cousins home. As I sit at the table this year, I am stirred with their spirits, laughter and love.

On Rosh Hashanah day, we baked the birthday cake for the world to bring to the children's service at temple. A lovely two tiered yellow cake with strawberry jam and lots of straberries on top. Vegan to please all, esp our little bear! Later that day we headed to temple with our friends and heard the shofar being blown. Caleb was all googlee eyes over the rams horn. He's hoping to be one of the children who gets to blow next year.Wake up! Wake up! It's a New Year. Time to throw all our shmutz in the water and cleanse our hearts for a new year. We literally do this activity in Tashlich. As you can see the kids throwing bread into the water at the marsh below. The slate is clean.

It's day 14 for me on the Rise and Shine cleanse. I'm feeling open and clear. And a bit spacey, but I can handle that right now :) So the high holidays this month are sure to be a good time of personal reflection, making restitutions and doing acts of loving kindness in the community with the kiddos.

What acts of loving kindness are you doing?










2 comments:

lainey said...

Happy Rosh Hashana! You guys are so cute... I read your entire blog.

blissbelly said...

sweet...homesick feelings...so lovely at the river