Sunday, June 8, 2008

Healthy Living















Caleb and I are just finishing our first springtime colds and slowly regaining our vitality. It feels good to be going to sleep early with the kiddos and listening to our bodies. As summer solstice approaches I am beginning to take stock of our health, diets and how we spend our time. This week is Caleb's last week of preschool, where he spends 2 days a week. And next week is the end of my part time homeschooling teaching job, where I have been happily employed and emotionally overextended for the past 5 yrs. Now, I am overjoyed to experience the priveledge of being a stay at home mama with my littles. In addition, we are recieving an addition to our family tomorrow! Our sweet friend, Sheryl, is driving 7 hrs to deliver her 15 month White Pyreness to become apart of our family. We were waiting for our doggie to just land in our laps. Although I though it would be in the front of our local co-op. We got really lucky. I'll explain more about our new pup later, bc I have something AMAZING to share. Three yrs ago I attended my first Waldorf at Home Conference. One of the many inpiring workshops that weekend was lead by Dr. Susan R. Johnson. Following the session, she kindly sent us home us a number of articles that she authored. Including one on the importance of warmth (which strongly lead me into my LOVE of wool/silk undergarments), importance of sleep (how we became HUGE fans of the 7pm bedtime, as the kids ALWAYS rise with the sun) and allergies. Okay, here's the GIFT from Dr.Johnson, recently published on her website. CLICK ON LINK BELOW WITH A CUP OF SOOTHING TEA XOXOXOXOXOXOX

Ways to maximize health: Taken from the Allergies article on Dr. Johnson's Site.
a) Be sure to get plenty of sleep and avoid getting into a second wind at night, remember that sleep before midnight counts as double, walk an hour every day, meditate, sing, plant a garden, breathe deeply, laugh, practice yoga, tai chi, or eurythmy, do things you love like art, music, handwork, etc., put your life into rhythm with regular meals and a regular sleep schedule, reduce stress, slow down (remember less is best), practice being in the present moment, turn off the television, VCR, and computer games, spend more time in nature, work on yourself and work on your relationships so they are win/win instead of lose/lose, forgive yourself, forgive others, find work that you love and do it.

All of this brings me to what I want to manifest this summer for my family. To SLOW DOWN and remember that LESS IS MORE. Also to eat as many meals outside as possible and let the children feel that that nature is their home as much as it inside of our home. We are so blessed to live in Humboldt County amist so much abundant beautiful earth, six flowing rivers, tall redwood trees, lucious gardens, parks, beaches, forests and marshes. There is no better answer than nature. It fills my spirit and renews my vitality.
PHOTOS ABOVE: Were taken in Provence on two different hiking excursions. The first at Provençal Colorado (note the red stones) and the second in the village we resided in St. Remy de Provence at the foothills of the Alpilles (note sharp peaked white hills). The second hike also began at the walking trail of Van Goghs world from his hospital doors and adjacent to Glanum.

1 comment:

Shandel Rasha said...

Sweet Rachey and family.. I'm awaiting pictures of Shana pup. LI'm so happy you're all in love w/ each other. We're very blessed to know that she's in such a beautiful family. Want to adopt me too and take me to the Redwoods and beach everyday?! When are you coming to Tahoe? Miss you, love you!